Autobiographical

My full-length book, Where We Think It Should Go, can be yours via Octopus Books, Small Press Distribution, or Amazon. We better celebrate these hard copies while we can. When I'm not writing poetry, I teach amazing young people who are blind. I believe in a healthier future.

Monday, January 14, 2008

The Sculpture of Louise Nevelson: Constructing a Legend just closed at the De Young.

It was at the Jewish Museum in New York a few months ago. I don't know if it's going anywhere else. If you can see it, you should go. I didn't make it until the last day, but it was pretty amazing. I walked through several dark rooms filled with sculptures, the later ones made from found objects, mostly painted black. Then in the distance I saw white room-sized sculptural-assembly of objects into walls, columns, a sort-of bride and groom. I was immersed in that for a while, then in the distance, I saw gold. I liked the objects being subsumed into a single color.

I think she was doing installation art pretty early on compared with other artists, which I guess doesn't really matter, but it seems related to her work and life and persona. Apparently a drawing she did when she was five years old was of the top part of a chair. Her father was a junk dealer.

I was doing a google image search for Louise Nevelson and Kate Greenstreet's post came up, which you should check out: which you should check out
and which suggests that she did not like all chairs.

And this cast paper sculpture:


I grew up with this one:



No comments: